During our Cruise several years ago where we visited several famous & popular “Baltic Sea” cities, none had us more excited to visit then Saint Petersburg, Russia… so today we want to share our Top 8 things to do in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
Founded by “Peter the Great” in the early 1700s, this intriguing city was the capital of Russia till 1918, when the capital then moved and became Moscow.
The city, which is home to around 4.6 million people, is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea.
It’s said to be the most westernized city in Russia but we have to say, most of these top sites below certainly aren’t ones you’ll find back home! 🙂
Due to the age and beauty of St. Peterburg’s City Center, it’s listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
If you ever find yourself being privileged to visit this place…
…make sure to take in these top 8 things to do in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
1. The Hermitage Museum… definitely Saint Petersburg’s top attraction, it’s one of the oldest & largest museums in the world, home to almost 3 million pieces including the largest collection of paintings in the World!
2. Palace Square is quite the grandeur site, right outside the Hermitage!
3. The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood (also know as the Church on Spilt Blood) is a Saint Petersburg symbol you won’t want to go home without catching a glimpse of!
4. Peter & Paul Fortress is an impressive site begging for a looksee!
5. Catherine Palace is another breathtaking site that needs to be seen to be truly appreciated… 25 kms outside of the city it was once the Summer home for Russian Tzars.
6. Peterhof Palace & Gardens is another place you’ll definitely want to take in!
7. A Canal Tour by boat is something you’ll want to experience, especially since Saint Petersburg is know as the “Venice of the North”.
8. Check out the city’s “Metro” (Subway) system… unlike the not- so- pleasant subways we have here in North America you’ll be happy to spend some time down there with the incredible artwork and designs! 🙂
So there you have it, Nancy & Shawn’s “Top 8 things to do in Saint Petersburg, Russia”!
And it doesn’t end there with other amazing places to see & visit like St. Nicholas’ Cathedral, Yusupov Palace, The State Russian Museum, the Ballet & Opera, Fountain Park, etc.
Saint Petersburg is a world class city that has lots and lots of things to experience!
Visit our Saint Petersburg & Baltic Sea Cruise photo & video gallery to see the rest of our pics from our amazing Baltic Sea Cruise.
We appreciate You!
Nancy & Shawn
Your Trusted Cruise Experts!